Wednesday 27 February 2008

Life!

West Ham beating Fulham, me being champion of badminton a week ago, going and seeing my parents on Friday and Saturday last week - all of these things are great, but all of them pail into insignificance when I think of the greatness of our God and the wonder of Jesus Christ.

Preparing and speaking at Freedom In Christ last night has once again opened my eyes to the magnitude of what Christ acheived on our behalf in dieing on the cross. Looking at the fact that Adam and Eve were both physically and spiritually alive and then seeing a fresh that when they sinned they became spiritually dead and that is our condition when we are born into the world is terrifying. The fact that Adam had all significance, all security and total acceptance and threw it away for a piece of fruit!!! In turn losing that significance, that security and that acceptance, leaving mankind to long after these things from that time onwards. Looking at the fear and anxiety and the worry and the pain and the depression and the guilt and the shame and the weakness and the powerlessness and the anger that every man will experience at some point in their life, is horrible.

However then focussing on Jesus and what he came to do. Yes he came to take away the sins of those who would believe in him and give us hope for a future in eternity with him. Yet he also came to give life. That which was lost at the fall restored to us again through the death of Jesus Christ. He came to give us back significance, security and acceptance - no longer chasing the wind to try and find an answer to the despair that we feel - but now found in Christ.

9 years on and I feel that I am more amazed and in awe of Jesus than I ever have been. When I hear what he did and what he achieved it strengthens my resolve to be more like him and to seek after him, because surely only he knows best. I don't want to be a person who chases what the world has to offer, all the stuff that Solomon said was 'meaningless, utterly meaningless (Ecclesiastes 1:2) in order to find my purpose, my hope , and my acceptance - I want to chase after the Author and Perfector of my faith, the Beginning and the End, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords - Jesus Christ!! The one who bought me new life by his blood.

No comments: