Wednesday 2 July 2008

Saying 'no' to pride

"Pride also brings down leaders. "Pride ruins pastors and churches more than any other thing," Mike Reinhan has written. "It is more insidious in the church than radon in the home." When you read about the next public figure to fall, remember Proverbs 16:18 - "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." That person's situation might appear circumstantially complicated, but at root it's not: Pride goes before a fall."
C J Mahaney, Humility, page 35
I want these words to haunt me, to be there when I am tempted to think of myself better than I ought. When I am tempted to think that my way is the only way. When I am tempted to think that somehow I am achieving things without the help of my Father. It is only by God's grace that I can say no to pride when it arises in my life and only by his Spirit that I can live a life of humility in submission to him.

No comments: